Am I a Good LASIK Candidate?
Not everyone is a perfect patient for LASIK or PRK. It is important to consult with a qualified laser correction surgeon to determine your candidacy. To get started, fill out our self-test questionnaire below!
Listen to Dr. Marten discuss whether or not you are a LASIK candidate:
Traits of a Good LASIK Candidate
It is important for all patients to be screened by an eye care professional before any type of refractive procedure. Some important characteristics of a good LASIK patient include:
- Proper age – Patients must be at least 18 years old for nearsightedness correction and at least 21 years old for farsightedness and astigmatism correction
- Visual stability – Vision and corrective prescription must remain stable for one year before LASIK or other laser vision correction procedure
- Corneal shape – Patients must have the correct corneal curvature
- Healthy eyes – A thorough eye examination must determine that, other than the refractive error, the patient’s eyes are healthy
- Ability to heal – Patients with any condition that could hinder proper healing are not eligible
- Not be Pregnant or nursing
- Not have a degenerative or autoimmune disease
- Not show signs of keratoconus (degenerative eye disease)
- Not suffer from ocular herpes (herpes of the eye)
- Not have connective tissue disease or severe atopic disease